A culinary online center dedicated to promoting the importance and the joy of American home cooking with an emphasis on local products and talent, celebrating the unique spirit and energy of the new food world ethos, especially in Vermont.
I love quotes that add meaning to my life. Here are a few to live by:
Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
—The Dalai Lama
Rhubarb is a metaphor for finding happiness in your own backyard.
Buy your snacks from a farmers’ market.
Even when he had a garden in Paris, Thomas Jefferson cultivated Indian corn, “to eat green in our manner, …as quickly after it left the stalk as possible.
—Evan Jones, from American Food
A Farewell To The Green Mountain State
I miss my wonderful assistant, Natalie Lovelace. She spent her last year and a half as an undergraduate at the University of Vermont running around the northern stretches of Vermont with me talking to people about food. What a delight it was to have her as my blog manager. Natalie often, not only wrote, but […]
fresh blog posts
Join me In the Kitchen with Bronwyn, to continue the tradition of American kitchens. Through these blog posts we will do it with good food and good conversation. Let’s share our stories, inspire each other, and in the process, define together the food we love.
Zabby & Elf’s Stone Soup, Part II
Read the second part to the post on Avery Rifkin & Tim Elliott’s Stone Soup here.
Zabby & Elf’s Stone Soup
Read more about Burlington’s iconic Zabby and Elf’s Stone Soup.
We Don’t Do Restaurant Reviews
Read about the charming new resturant in Burlington’s Old North End, Butch + Babe’s!
Read about the issue of food insecurity and food waste in Vermont.
Food Entrepreneurs Part V: Brio Coffeeworks
Read about Vermont’s up and coming coffee scene featuring Brio Coffeeworks, located in Burlington’s South End.
The “Zetterburger” Recipe
Here is the recipe for “The Zetterburger”, Tom Zetterstrom’s version of the classic hamburger with an addition that makes it one of the healthiest meals of the summer.
Homemade Fresh Mozzarella Recipe
This cheese recipe comes with my thanks to Lindsay Harris of Family Cow Farmstand for her wonderful introduction to making fresh mozzarella.
Potato Salad Two Ways
The story of potatoes continues! This week, I have two recipes for potato salad as well as a new video shot by my friend, Janet Biehl, late last summer showing those two ways to make potato salad.
I’m a writer, myself, and so love to read what other food writers have to say. I hope you enjoy reading about cookbooks and books about food as much as I do!
The Mindful Carnivore
I first met Tovar Cerulli, a former vegetarian, when he was in the process of publishing his new book about his decision to hunt game rather than eat commercial meat. I was struck by the emphasis Tovar places on mindfulness, and on the consideration we need to have about everything we eat.
Simple Asian Meals
Who isn’t cooking Asian these days? I just had friends over for a dinner of our grass-fed beef short ribs only to be reminded at the last minute that one of them was a vegetarian. Out came my wok, frozen shrimp from my freezer, some snow peas, green onions, red peppers and a variety of soy, oyster and fish sauces, along with some cooking sherry. I improvised and my hungry friend seemed satisfied with the end result, a quasi-Chinese shrimp stir-fry. But, if I’d had Nina Simond’s book, Simple Asian Meals, I might have cooked a dish that would have made my short-rib eating friends jealous.
Spoon Fed Stories
Some of us, home cooks—and I include myself in this group—love food so much we find our lives structured and embellished by our food experiences. Spoon Fed Stories are our stories, the stories of family and friends. Think of this as the kitchen table where we share the fun and the adventures we’ve had with food.
The Venerable Shojin Ryori Cuisine of Japan by Hiroko Shimbo
Cookbook author and friend, Hiroshi Shimbo, writes about the special 7th century vegetarian cuisine still practiced today, Shojin Ryori, which I enjoyed on my visit to a Zen temple in Japan this spring.
From the Sea Cloud to the Cloud Nine of Dining
Guest blogger Margo Davis returns with a story about her recent trip to one of the best places to eat in the world, San Sebastian, Spain. Enjoy her story of Michelin three-star restaurants and cultural icons!
Imagine Who Is Coming to Dinner
by Margo Davis
Imagine cooking for the food maven of all times, Judith Jones….
Food events that have caught my eye.
a La Carte Videos
Bronwyn Dunne and Judith Jones Prepare Two Potato Salads at Bryn Teg. See the recipes
Gateau de Crepes- In Molly’s Kitchen.
See recipe from the Smitten Kitchen
- A Farewell To The Green Mountain State - Jul 2016
- Zabby & Elf’s Stone Soup, Part II - May 2016
- Zabby & Elf’s Stone Soup - Mar 2016
- Gratitude - Dec 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Part V: Brio Coffeeworks - Nov 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Part IV: Tomgirl Juice Co. - Oct 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Series Part III: The Bakery At The Farmhouse Kitchen - Aug 2015
- Food Entrepreneurship in Vermont Part II: Bijou Fine Chocolates - Jul 2015
- Summer Events In Vermont - Jul 2015
- Is Localizing America’s Food System Possible? - Jun 2015
- Food Entrepreneurship in Vermont Part I: SharkBite Hummus - Jun 2015
- Nourish Vermont: Traditional Foods and Health Gathering - May 2015
- Late Sugaring In The Northeast Kingdom - May 2015
- Baking With Bayley Hazen Blue - Apr 2015
- Vermont Artisan Village - Mar 2015
- A Rare Book Indeed - Nov 2014
- It’s Time for an Organic Revolution! - Sep 2014
- Food for the Soul as well as the Body: Shojin Ryori - Aug 2014
- The Venerable Shojin Ryori Cuisine of Japan by Hiroko Shimbo - Aug 2014
- Better than Summer Camp: Summer Programs in Cheese Making, Fermentation, Charcuterie, Draft Horse Farming & Food Writing at Sterling College - May 2014
- We Did It! GMO Labeling Passed in Both the Vermont House & Senate - Apr 2014
- A Very Important Birthday: Judith Jones Celebrates Her 90th Birthday! - Mar 2014
- A Book Is On Its Way! As my interest in local farming has grown, I find myself writing a book… - Jan 2014
- After the Barn Fire Fundraiser Dinner to Benefit Maple Wind Farm – Tues, Jan 28 at Hinesburgh Public House - Jan 2014
- Sign Up for Blog Updates from In the Kitchen with Bronwyn & We’ll Donate $2 to the VT Foodbank for each subscription through Dec 31! - Nov 2013
- A Recipe for the Holidays from Shelburne Farms - Nov 2013
- When the Farm is a School: Shelburne Farms - Nov 2013
- Bronwyn Jones Dunne Selected by IACP as Featured Blogger - Nov 2013
- Fairfield Farm at The Hotchkiss School: Where Academics & Agriculture Meet - Oct 2013
- Farm to School – Not Just a Slogan - Oct 2013
- The Making of the “Zetterburger”: A True Tale of Creativity in the Kitchen - Aug 2013
- The “Zetterburger” Recipe - Aug 2013
- From the Sea Cloud to the Cloud Nine of Dining - Aug 2013
- Making Fresh Mozzarella - Jul 2013
- The Spirit of Vermont at the 2013 UVM Food Sustainability Summit - Jul 2013
- My Shangri-La: A Weekend at Twin Farms Resort - Jun 2013
- Twin Farms’ Gluten-Free Soufflé Pancake Recipe - Jun 2013
- Remarkable Recipes, Remarkable Women - Apr 2013
- Food & Art at Twin Farms - Apr 2013
- Video of Bronwyn Dunne & Judith Jones Preparing Potato Salads at BrynTeg - Mar 2013
- Potatoes from Peru: An Ancestral Flavor Reclaimed - Mar 2013
- Cookbook Author Joan Nathan’s 70th Birthday Party - Feb 2013
- Subscribe to my Blog by March 31 to Benefit the VT Foodbank! - Feb 2013
- The Mindful Carnivore - Jan 2013
- An Adventure in Cooking, Food & Healthy Living… - Jan 2013
- Caledonia Spirits & Winery: The Honey Man’s Dream - Dec 2012
- A Spoonful of Fresh Maple Yogurt—Farmers to You Delivers! - Dec 2012
- Bronwyn Featured in Best of Burlington - Dec 2012
- Private Cooking Classes with Bronwyn! - Dec 2012
- A Last Feast Before A Perfect Storm - Nov 2012
- Two Last Meals, Part 2: Breakfast at The Inn at Shelburne Farms - Nov 2012
- Radio Flyer… but Melons or Swiss Chard? - Nov 2012
- Two Last Meals, Part 1: Lunch at the Circus Smirkus Pie Car - Nov 2012
- Cedar Circle Farm’s 2012 Heirloom Tomato Guide - Oct 2012
- My Mother-in-law’s Favorite Meal: BLTs - Oct 2012
- Fall’s Upon Us: Tomato Harvest Festival & Circus Smirkus - Oct 2012
- Wholegrain Sourdough Breads 2 Day Class with John Mellquist of Trukenbrod Mill & Bakery - Oct 2012
- Cold Pea Soup: Catching up with Summer Flavor & My Move - Sep 2012
- See Bronwyn Jones Dunne in Julia Child’s 100th Birthday Program in VT Public Television’s Video Segment - Aug 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 4 of 4 - Aug 2012
- Bronwyn Dunne Helps VT Public Television Honor Julia Child’s 100th Birthday - Aug 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 3 of 4 - Jun 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 2 of 4 - May 2012
- Imagine Who Is Coming to Dinner - Apr 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 1 of 4 - Apr 2012
- A Dinner at Salt Café after Tropical Storm Irene - Apr 2012
- Welcome to my Kitchen! - Apr 2012