A culinary online center dedicated to promoting the importance and the joy of American home cooking with an emphasis on local products and talent, celebrating the unique spirit and energy of the new food world ethos, especially in Vermont.
I love quotes that add meaning to my life. Here are a few to live by:
Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third-grader cannot pronounce.
Feeding nine billion people in a truly sustainable way will be one of the greatest challenges our civilization has had to confront. It will require the imagination, determination and hard work of countless people from all over the world. There is no time to lose.
—Jonathan A. Foley, director of the Institute on the Environment, U of MN
The surest way to capture the flavors, colors, and textures of a culture is by using authentic products.
—Lidia Bastianich, from Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen
The most important habit you can develop is to taste as you are preparing something. Take a sample and taste it critically at different stages of the cooking, then correct the seasonings…
—Marion Cunningham, from Learning to Cook
Plant a vegetable garden if you have the space, a window box if you don’t.
About Bronwyn Jones Dunne
Bronwyn and her step mother Judith Jones teach a class on Mastering the Art of French Cooking at Healthy Living Market & Café in South Burlington, VT.
Bronwyn, as a child, reviewing recipes with her father and author Evan Jones.
Cookbook author Joan Nathan, Bronwyn and Judith Jones on a trip to Israel.
The French Bastille Day Dinner menu and Judith Jones book at the 50th Anniversary celebration of Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking at the Lakeview Inn in Greensboro, VT.
James Beard, Judith Jones and Julia Child. James and Julia were regular visitors to the Jones New York City apartment.
Bronwyn teaches a baking class in Burlington Vermont.
Authors Marian Burros, Judith Jones, Marialisa Calta, Jeffrey Roberts and Bronwyn participate in a panel discussion offered by In the Kitchen with Bronwyn.
NY Times photographers visit Bryn Teg, the Jones family farm in Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom, to do a story on their grass-fed beef.
Food Biography: I grew up in a family professionally involved in the world of food. My father, Evan Jones, was a writer who specialized in history and food. My stepmother, Judith B. Jones, an editor at Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., became famous editing Julia Child’s first cookbook, Mastering The Art of French Cooking. In a long career, she published many of the most iconic American cookbooks and worked with almost all the great cooks of the last fifty years.
Cooking was one of the first things that I learned to do. “Learned” isn’t even the right word for it because I don’t remember when I didn’t know how to cook. It was a natural thing to do and because there were so many good cooks coming and going in our home, I had ample opportunity to watch great chefs prepare recipes. Julia Child, James Beard, Lidia Bastianich, Alice Waters, Edna Lewis, Marion Cunningham and Madhur Jaffrey are only a few of the cookbook authors who have been my food mentors.
In the last decade, I have written about food for Saveur, Gourmet, and Slow Food on-line. In 2009 I began a cooking series, Cooking with the Masters at Healthy Living Market & Café in South Burlington, Vermont. In the winter of 2010, I taught a five-part series on Julia Child and her contribution to cooking in America. In 2011 I created two culinary special events in honor of Julia Child’s 100th birthday and the 50th anniversary of the publication of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, A Bastille Day Dinner celebrating Julia Child’s famous recipes and a Panel Discussion on American Food with authors Judith Jones, Marian Burros, Jeff Roberts and Marialisa Calta.
In The Kitchen with Bronwyn is my online culinary center, a place where I can share my food interests and ideas with you, write about my family history, and enjoy being in my kitchen with new friends and old, as we “talk” about the thing that interests us most: food!
Food events that have caught my eye.
a La Carte Videos
Bronwyn Dunne and Judith Jones Prepare Two Potato Salads at Bryn Teg. See the recipes
Gateau de Crepes- In Molly’s Kitchen.
See recipe from the Smitten Kitchen
- New Guest Writer: Welcome Corrie to the Green Mountain State! - Apr 2017
- A Farewell To The Green Mountain State - Jul 2016
- Zabby & Elf’s Stone Soup, Part II - May 2016
- Zabby & Elf’s Stone Soup - Mar 2016
- Gratitude - Dec 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Part V: Brio Coffeeworks - Nov 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Part IV: Tomgirl Juice Co. - Oct 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Series Part III: The Bakery At The Farmhouse Kitchen - Aug 2015
- Food Entrepreneurship in Vermont Part II: Bijou Fine Chocolates - Jul 2015
- Summer Events In Vermont - Jul 2015
- Is Localizing America’s Food System Possible? - Jun 2015
- Food Entrepreneurship in Vermont Part I: SharkBite Hummus - Jun 2015
- Nourish Vermont: Traditional Foods and Health Gathering - May 2015
- Late Sugaring In The Northeast Kingdom - May 2015
- Baking With Bayley Hazen Blue - Apr 2015
- Vermont Artisan Village - Mar 2015
- A Rare Book Indeed - Nov 2014
- It’s Time for an Organic Revolution! - Sep 2014
- Food for the Soul as well as the Body: Shojin Ryori - Aug 2014
- The Venerable Shojin Ryori Cuisine of Japan by Hiroko Shimbo - Aug 2014
- Better than Summer Camp: Summer Programs in Cheese Making, Fermentation, Charcuterie, Draft Horse Farming & Food Writing at Sterling College - May 2014
- We Did It! GMO Labeling Passed in Both the Vermont House & Senate - Apr 2014
- A Very Important Birthday: Judith Jones Celebrates Her 90th Birthday! - Mar 2014
- A Book Is On Its Way! As my interest in local farming has grown, I find myself writing a book… - Jan 2014
- After the Barn Fire Fundraiser Dinner to Benefit Maple Wind Farm – Tues, Jan 28 at Hinesburgh Public House - Jan 2014
- Sign Up for Blog Updates from In the Kitchen with Bronwyn & We’ll Donate $2 to the VT Foodbank for each subscription through Dec 31! - Nov 2013
- A Recipe for the Holidays from Shelburne Farms - Nov 2013
- When the Farm is a School: Shelburne Farms - Nov 2013
- Bronwyn Jones Dunne Selected by IACP as Featured Blogger - Nov 2013
- Fairfield Farm at The Hotchkiss School: Where Academics & Agriculture Meet - Oct 2013
- Farm to School – Not Just a Slogan - Oct 2013
- The Making of the “Zetterburger”: A True Tale of Creativity in the Kitchen - Aug 2013
- The “Zetterburger” Recipe - Aug 2013
- From the Sea Cloud to the Cloud Nine of Dining - Aug 2013
- Making Fresh Mozzarella - Jul 2013
- The Spirit of Vermont at the 2013 UVM Food Sustainability Summit - Jul 2013
- My Shangri-La: A Weekend at Twin Farms Resort - Jun 2013
- Twin Farms’ Gluten-Free Soufflé Pancake Recipe - Jun 2013
- Remarkable Recipes, Remarkable Women - Apr 2013
- Food & Art at Twin Farms - Apr 2013
- Video of Bronwyn Dunne & Judith Jones Preparing Potato Salads at BrynTeg - Mar 2013
- Potatoes from Peru: An Ancestral Flavor Reclaimed - Mar 2013
- Cookbook Author Joan Nathan’s 70th Birthday Party - Feb 2013
- Subscribe to my Blog by March 31 to Benefit the VT Foodbank! - Feb 2013
- The Mindful Carnivore - Jan 2013
- An Adventure in Cooking, Food & Healthy Living… - Jan 2013
- Caledonia Spirits & Winery: The Honey Man’s Dream - Dec 2012
- A Spoonful of Fresh Maple Yogurt—Farmers to You Delivers! - Dec 2012
- Bronwyn Featured in Best of Burlington - Dec 2012
- Private Cooking Classes with Bronwyn! - Dec 2012
- A Last Feast Before A Perfect Storm - Nov 2012
- Two Last Meals, Part 2: Breakfast at The Inn at Shelburne Farms - Nov 2012
- Radio Flyer… but Melons or Swiss Chard? - Nov 2012
- Two Last Meals, Part 1: Lunch at the Circus Smirkus Pie Car - Nov 2012
- Cedar Circle Farm’s 2012 Heirloom Tomato Guide - Oct 2012
- My Mother-in-law’s Favorite Meal: BLTs - Oct 2012
- Fall’s Upon Us: Tomato Harvest Festival & Circus Smirkus - Oct 2012
- Wholegrain Sourdough Breads 2 Day Class with John Mellquist of Trukenbrod Mill & Bakery - Oct 2012
- Cold Pea Soup: Catching up with Summer Flavor & My Move - Sep 2012
- See Bronwyn Jones Dunne in Julia Child’s 100th Birthday Program in VT Public Television’s Video Segment - Aug 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 4 of 4 - Aug 2012
- Bronwyn Dunne Helps VT Public Television Honor Julia Child’s 100th Birthday - Aug 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 3 of 4 - Jun 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 2 of 4 - May 2012
- Imagine Who Is Coming to Dinner - Apr 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 1 of 4 - Apr 2012
- A Dinner at Salt Café after Tropical Storm Irene - Apr 2012
- Welcome to my Kitchen! - Apr 2012