A culinary online center dedicated to promoting the importance and the joy of American home cooking with an emphasis on local products and talent, celebrating the unique spirit and energy of the new food world ethos, especially in Vermont.
I love quotes that add meaning to my life. Here are a few to live by:
We can dramatically increase global food availability and environmental sustainability by using more of our crops to feed people directly and less to fatten livestock.
â€”Jonathan A. Foley, director of the Institute on the Environment, U of MN
Donâ€™t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldnâ€™t recognize as food.
Cooking is at once childâ€™s play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.
People who eat according to the rules of a traditional food culture are generally healthier than those of us eating a modern Western diet of processed food.
Bronwyn Dunne Helps VT Public Television Honor Julia Child’s 100th Birthday
Julia Child changed the way Americans cook, eat and think about food. Vermont Public Television will honor the grand dame of cooking, televisionâ€™s first superstar cook, on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 which would have been Childâ€™s 100th birthday.
VPT will broadcast a live, three-hour cooking special featuring dishes that showcase locally grown food as well as classic recipes and techniques taught by Child herself.
Airing from 7 to 10 p.m., â€śCelebrate Juliaâ€ť will feature three vintage episodes of Childâ€™s pioneering public television series, â€śThe French Chef,â€ť from the early 1960s. In them, Child will prepare French onion soup, giving tips on how to quickly and safely slice onions, and how to improve and personalize a store-bought stock. She will also make quiche Lorraine, illustrating the key tips to create â€śthe perfect pastry.â€ť Child will demonstrate how that same pastry can be used to make an apple tart finished with an apricot glaze.
In between the vintage TV shows, chef Michael Kloeti of Michaelâ€™s on the Hill in Waterbury Center, Vt., will be guiding some enthusiastic amateurs in the VPT studio kitchen as they attempt to prepare dishes to complement Childâ€™s recipes using locally grown, seasonal ingredients.
Vermont resident Judith Jones will share stories from the days when she was Childâ€™s editor at Alfred A. Knopf and helped bring Child and her famous â€śMastering the Art of French Cookingâ€ť to the attention of the world. Culinary writer Bronwyn Jones Dunne, who grew up watching Jones (her stepmother) test Childâ€™s recipes, will share her own memories of that time and assist in the VPT kitchen.
VPTâ€™s â€śCelebrate Juliaâ€ť will also air Saturday, August 18, at 12:30 p.m. VPT will provide recipes and additional â€śCelebrate Juliaâ€ť content on vpt.org/julia.
In related festivities during August, on Saturday, August 18, the VPT Create channel will present a marathon of â€śBaking With Juliaâ€ť and â€śJulia and Jacquesâ€ť programs.
On the Web, public television culinary hosts, producers and guests will share video, memories, photographs, quotes and recipes on a special Julia Child page at CreateTV.com.WGBH.org will also have a complete Julia Child/The French Chefpage including streaming episodes of â€śThe French Chef,â€ť one-of-a-kind recipes and never-before-seen out-takes, film footage and on-set photos from an un-aired French Chef film shoot circa 1970.
Viewers are invited to share their memories of Julia Child on Twitter at #CreateforJulia with fanpages also being built on Facebook and Pinterest.
PBS has put together memories of Julia Child, recipes, an infographic and much more at http://www.pbs.org/food/julia-child-100-birthday/.
Posted: 8-8-2012SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG’S FEED
3 Responses to “Bronwyn Dunne Helps VT Public Television Honor Julia Child’s 100th Birthday”
Leave a Reply
Food events that have caught my eye.
a La Carte Videos
Bronwyn Dunne and Judith Jones Prepare Two Potato Salads at Bryn Teg. See the recipes
Gateau de Crepes- In Mollyâ€™s Kitchen.
See recipe from the Smitten Kitchen
- New Guest Writer: Welcome Corrie to the Green Mountain State! - Apr 2017
- A Farewell To The Green Mountain State - Jul 2016
- Zabby & Elfâ€™s Stone Soup, Part II - May 2016
- Zabby & Elfâ€™s Stone Soup - Mar 2016
- Gratitude - Dec 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Part V: Brio Coffeeworks - Nov 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Part IV: Tomgirl Juice Co. - Oct 2015
- Food Entrepreneurs Series Part III: The Bakery At The Farmhouse Kitchen - Aug 2015
- Food Entrepreneurship in Vermont Part II: Bijou Fine Chocolates - Jul 2015
- Summer Events In Vermont - Jul 2015
- Is Localizing Americaâ€™s Food System Possible? - Jun 2015
- Food Entrepreneurship in Vermont Part I: SharkBite Hummus - Jun 2015
- Nourish Vermont: Traditional Foods and Health Gathering - May 2015
- Late Sugaring In The Northeast Kingdom - May 2015
- Baking With Bayley Hazen Blue - Apr 2015
- Vermont Artisan Village - Mar 2015
- A Rare Book Indeed - Nov 2014
- It’s Time for an Organic Revolution! - Sep 2014
- Food for the Soul as well as the Body: Shojin Ryori - Aug 2014
- The Venerable Shojin Ryori Cuisine of Japan by Hiroko Shimbo - Aug 2014
- Better than Summer Camp: Summer Programs in Cheese Making, Fermentation, Charcuterie, Draft Horse Farming & Food Writing at Sterling College - May 2014
- We Did It! GMO Labeling Passed in Both the Vermont House & Senate - Apr 2014
- A Very Important Birthday: Judith Jones Celebrates Her 90th Birthday! - Mar 2014
- A Book Is On Its Way! As my interest in local farming has grown, I find myself writing a bookâ€¦ - Jan 2014
- After the Barn Fire Fundraiser Dinner to Benefit Maple Wind Farm â€“ Tues, Jan 28 at Hinesburgh Public House - Jan 2014
- Sign Up for Blog Updates from In the Kitchen with Bronwyn & We’ll Donate $2 to the VT Foodbank for each subscription through Dec 31! - Nov 2013
- A Recipe for the Holidays from Shelburne Farms - Nov 2013
- When the Farm is a School: Shelburne Farms - Nov 2013
- Bronwyn Jones Dunne Selected by IACP as Featured Blogger - Nov 2013
- Fairfield Farm at The Hotchkiss School: Where Academics & Agriculture Meet - Oct 2013
- Farm to School â€“ Not Just a Slogan - Oct 2013
- The Making of the â€śZetterburgerâ€ť: A True Tale of Creativity in the Kitchen - Aug 2013
- The “Zetterburger” Recipe - Aug 2013
- From the Sea Cloud to the Cloud Nine of Dining - Aug 2013
- Making Fresh Mozzarella - Jul 2013
- The Spirit of Vermont at the 2013 UVM Food Sustainability Summit - Jul 2013
- My Shangri-La: A Weekend at Twin Farms Resort - Jun 2013
- Twin Farms’ Gluten-Free SoufflĂ© Pancake Recipe - Jun 2013
- Remarkable Recipes, Remarkable Women - Apr 2013
- Food & Art at Twin Farms - Apr 2013
- Video of Bronwyn Dunne & Judith Jones Preparing Potato Salads at BrynTeg - Mar 2013
- Potatoes from Peru: An Ancestral Flavor Reclaimed - Mar 2013
- Cookbook Author Joan Nathanâ€™s 70th Birthday Party - Feb 2013
- Subscribe to my Blog by March 31 to Benefit the VT Foodbank! - Feb 2013
- The Mindful Carnivore - Jan 2013
- An Adventure in Cooking, Food & Healthy Livingâ€¦ - Jan 2013
- Caledonia Spirits & Winery: The Honey Man’s Dream - Dec 2012
- A Spoonful of Fresh Maple Yogurtâ€”Farmers to You Delivers! - Dec 2012
- Bronwyn Featured in Best of Burlington - Dec 2012
- Private Cooking Classes with Bronwyn! - Dec 2012
- A Last Feast Before A Perfect Storm - Nov 2012
- Two Last Meals, Part 2: Breakfast at The Inn at Shelburne Farms - Nov 2012
- Radio Flyerâ€¦ but Melons or Swiss Chard? - Nov 2012
- Two Last Meals, Part 1: Lunch at the Circus Smirkus Pie Car - Nov 2012
- Cedar Circle Farm’s 2012 Heirloom Tomato Guide - Oct 2012
- My Mother-in-law’s Favorite Meal: BLTs - Oct 2012
- Fall’s Upon Us: Tomato Harvest Festival & Circus Smirkus - Oct 2012
- Wholegrain Sourdough Breads 2 Day Class with John Mellquist of Trukenbrod Mill & Bakery - Oct 2012
- Cold Pea Soup: Catching up with Summer Flavor & My Move - Sep 2012
- See Bronwyn Jones Dunne in Julia Child’s 100th Birthday Program in VT Public Television’s Video Segment - Aug 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 4 of 4 - Aug 2012
- Bronwyn Dunne Helps VT Public Television Honor Julia Child’s 100th Birthday - Aug 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 3 of 4 - Jun 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Father’s Recipes, Part 2 of 4 - May 2012
- Imagine Who Is Coming to Dinner - Apr 2012
- Cooking with Evan Jones: My Fatherâ€™s Recipes, Part 1 of 4 - Apr 2012
- A Dinner at Salt CafĂ© after Tropical Storm Irene - Apr 2012
- Welcome to my Kitchen! - Apr 2012